In case you have lost the configuration password of your Linksys wireless router, returning to its factory setting is the only solution you can find as of the moment. It has its default IP address too which is 192.168.1.1. When you reset the configuration, it will return to its default username and password. It will also delete the network setting you have set. There are two different ways you can reset the router. One is through pressing the button found on the router. The other one is resetting through the configuration page.
Here are the two ways to reset your Linksys router:
Steps using Reset Button
- Make sure your Linksys router is plugin and connected to the power. Look at the back and bottom part of the router and locate the “Reset” button. The button is marked for its purpose and recessed with a small hole to prevent accidents of resetting it.
- You can use a straightened paper clip or any pointed objects and press the Reset button until the power light will start blinking. The process will be done in 10 seconds and for older modems may take 30 seconds.
- Then, release the button and wait until the light will stop from blinking. If the light does not stop from blinking after 60 seconds of releasing it, you have to proceed immediately to the next step.
- Disconnect the router from the power cable for about 30 seconds and then plug it back. A new model of Linksys routers does not really need this step but it won’t case a harm to try. Your router now has finally been reset to its default factory setting and ready for a new configuration.
Steps in Resetting from Computer
- Just type in your browser 192.168.1.1. Enter the username and password you have created. If you never set, just leave the username blank and enter “admin” on password field.
- Go to “Administration” tab and then just select “Factory Defaults” on the sub-tab.
- Lastly, click the “Restore Factory Defaults” button and your router will reset.
The first step is the solution when you don’t know the modified username and password. The last one is when you just want to re-configure your router on an easy way. Secure your router now.